Registered users can access:
training workshops for practitioners who train, teach and supervise people in skills for sensitive conversations.
For more information about our 2024 RealTalk workshops follow this link or register your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org
training modules which show how experienced clinicians communicate about pain, end of life and bereavement with patients and those important to them. The resources are outlined below:
Overview of resources:
- Summary of contents.
- Mandatory safeguards – PowerPoint slides detailing use of audio/video clips in face-to-face and in live online training.
- Facilitator checklist – for preparing and delivering training.
- Evaluation form – for completion by trainees.
- Broaching Dying. The focus of this module is on ‘broaching dying’, i.e., how practitioners encourage talk about patients’ own end of life and dying. As you may know, broaching dying is a necessary step towards making plans for the future and provides opportunities to address feelings and fears.
- ‘How long have I got? The focus here is on when patients ask, and doctors respond to, a ‘How long have I got?’ type of question.
- Asking questions about pain. This module explores questions about pain, and the importance and implications of the wording and tone of those questions.
- Using pain scales. This module explores the use of pain scales in palliative care consultations.
- Bereavement support: talking about difficulties with family and friends (audio only). This training module focuses on facilitation of bereavement support groups. It contains materials and learning points designed to be used in training for existing and prospective group facilitators.
- Empathy. This module shows ways in which healthcare professionals navigate this dilemma in interaction with patients with palliative care needs.
Included in each case study:
- Background information; overview of contents and activities.
- Summary of communication skills used.
- Keywords for communication topics and activities.
- Verbatim transcripts.
- Evidence-based learning points.
- References and suggested reading.
Features of case study audio/video clips:
- Playable with or without subtitles
- Control buttons available (play, pause & rewind)